Work With Us
Senior Interior Designer, Richmond, Virginia
Design Source collaborates with clients to create spaces elder residents are proud to call home. Our Richmond-based firm has worked with senior living communities for more than two decades, providing a dependable service as problem solvers and team players. We encourage clients to communicate with us directly, and that dialogue helps ensure that our final product meets and exceeds expectations.
We are hiring an Interior Designer with 10-15 years’ experience. An integral part of the team, your time will be 60% project work and 40% internal management. You will be responsible for several aspects including:
- Partnering with the Principal, lead project team in developing the conceptual design direction based on client's programming needs while representing the company’s standard quality of design. Develop design concepts, plans, elevations and details that illustrate the design intent and use of materials.
- Help to formulate the project design philosophy and adhere strictly to it in the execution of the work and in assignments to junior staff. Recognize the qualitative goals set forth for each project and works toward achieving these goals while balancing design, technical, and business objectives.
- Advise client on interior design aspects such as space planning, layout and use of furnishings or equipment, and color coordination.
- Research and select products and systems, finishes, lighting, and furniture.
- Initiate the development of design solutions and details. Direct and manage work of junior level staff in preparation of sketches, drawings, specifications, models and other project tasks. Coordinate work with others on the project team and with outside project consultants, documenting the outcome.
- Lead coordination with external consultants such as architects, engineers, contractors, fabricators, furniture vendors and regulatory agencies to ensure the project meets overall objectives. Continue to communicate and coordinate with consultants and vendors throughout the project completion
- Create, oversee creation, and review construction documents and specifications to ensure that the design intent is compliant and maintained.
- Manage all phases of design for multiple projects, collaborating with other team members and clients.
- Participate with the Principal in consultation with the client to establish project goals and objectives including, but not limited to: design intent, schedule, and budget parameters.
- Establish detailed work plans to meet project milestones and continually monitor progress. Monitor the time spent by staff at all levels during all project phases and modify the project work plan to conform with the fee, budget, and schedule, or take other action to correct situations where tasks extend beyond the project fee, budget, and/or schedule.
- Actively monitor project progress, identify issues for resolution, develop strategies for presentation to client, inform Principal, and recommend course of action.
- Evaluate contracts and project fees.
- Review bid pricing and advise client on accuracy. Provide value engineering as required.
- Act as point of contact and record keeper for all client/designer/GC communication, and attend progress review meetings in accordance with the client/designer agreement.
- Keep track of construction schedules and coordinate FF&E installation timelines.
- Conduct review of and observe junior staff review of RFI’s and submittals and keep detailed logs in accordance with the Firm’s standards. Use GC’s project-specific software platform for communication, such as ProCore.
Team Management and Internal Duties:
- Communicate with and update Principal on project status updates as requested.
- Participate in strategic discussion with Principal on issues that affect the Firm’s performance, perception in the marketplace, client satisfaction and profitability.
- Research and promote opportunities for new or innovative work system applications. Actively look for and implement techniques to improve quality of work and efficiency.
- Confer with client representatives and outside consultants on a continual basis throughout the project and communicate decisions and actions effectively to the project team, documenting the outcome appropriately.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Interior Design, or equivalent; degree in Architecture preferred.
- NCIDQ or state licensure preferred.
- Minimum of 10-15 years’ experience in the field, with senior living, hospitality, and residential experience preferred, plus at least two (2) years of experience as a Project Manager, Senior Interior Designer, or related position supervising junior staff.
- Knowledge of design trends, material costs, building codes, building systems, and construction methods.
- Proficient with the CA process including RFI review, submittal review and punch lists.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Microsoft Office (specifically Word, Excel & Outlook), Revit, and AutoCAD. Some SketchUp and Bluebeam experience helpful.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a working vehicle (or access to a vehicle).
- Able to work in a fast pace environment and meet prescribed project deadlines by planning ahead, managing workload, and setting priorities.
- Problem solver.
- Team player.